Unity is cutting 1,800 jobs in the name of "profitable growth"

Unity is laying off around 1,800 workers to "position itself for long-term and profitable growth."

The engine maker reduced its headcount significantly during 2023 and intends to carry that trend into the new year, citing a need to restructure and refocus on its core business.

The company confirmed the news in an SEC filing and said the layoffs represent 25 percent of its current workforce.

Unity expects the costs and charges associated with the cuts—including severance payments and other payouts—to be largely incurred during the first quarter of 2024, but noted it cannot "reasonably estimate" how much the move will cost at this time.

The news comes a few months after Unity told shareholders it would "likely" be making layoffs, reducing its office footprint, and discontinuing some products following a "comprehensive" portfolio assessment. Come from Soccer 13 pools and matches

Unity seeks to place customers first, but where does that leave workers?

Last November, interim CEO Jim Whitehurst said the company was attempting to implement a "customer-first business model" that would enable "faster revenue growth, improved profitability metrics, and increased cash flow."

Unity execs, however, have been singing that same tune for some time, and have already laid off a significant number of workers in pursuit of that goal.

The company started 2023 in the same fashion, cutting just under 300 jobs in January last year to become more streamlined. It followed those layoffs up by making another 600 workers redundant in May, again expressing a need to deliver "long-term and profitable growth."

Another 265 people were then laid off in November after Unity ended its agreement with digital effects company Weta FX.

It's a sequence of events that paints a tumultuous picture and one that played out in tandem with another disaster in the form of the Runtime Fee debacle, which saw Unity attempt to introduce a new levy on game installs before eventually backtracking after invoking the fury of the entire developer community.

Game Developer has contacted Unity to learn how the company intends to support those impacted by the latest layoffs and deliver stability moving forward.

Update: A Unity spokesperson has told Game Developer the decision to make layoffs "was not taken lightly" and said it will be supporting impacted employees throughout the process. 

"As part of our company reset outlined in our Shareholder Letter on November 9, 2023, we announced that Unity has made the difficult decision to implement a workforce reduction, targeting approximately 25 percent of our total workforce across all teams. This decision was not taken lightly, and we extend our deepest gratitude to those affected for their dedication and contributions," said Unity in a statement.

"We are committed to supporting impacted employees through this challenging transition. We appreciate the understanding and support of our community and stakeholders as we navigate these changes together."

Related Posts

Underworld Ascendant Review- Going Under

Ultima Underworld was a game ahead of its time. A first-person action-RPG released in 1992, it foreshadowed the kind of creative problem-solving sandbox that would later be popularized through Deus Ex, Bioshock, and Dishonored. The legacy of Ultima Underworld is a design approach that prioritizes player-authored experiences. It was, essentially, the immersive sim that first asked the questions: Do you want to fight your way in? Sneak your way in? Or set off a chain reaction of chaotic, physically simulated interactions and emergent gameplay your way in?

Crowdfunded via Kickstarter and then signed by publisher 505 Games, Underworld Ascendant was first pitched as a spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld developed by a veteran team featuring several people who worked on t…

Read more

Nvidia GeForce Now To Introduce Ads To Its Free Tier

Starting on March 5, Nvidia GeForce Now’s free tier will display up to two minutes of ads before the game boots up. GeForce Now is one of many streaming services to add ad-supported tiers over the last few months.

Nvidia spoke to The Verge about the coming change. Spokesperson Stephanie Ngo wrote, “Free users will start to see up to two minutes of ads while waiting in queue to start a gaming session.” The paid tiers of GeForce Now, Priority and Ultimate, will not be affected. Ads will not interrupt play, but display while users are waiting in the queue for each free hour of games. Nvidia claims the ads will help pay for the service and reduce load times for free users. Nvidia sent emails to free tier users on February 27, informing them of the changes.

Earlier last year, Nvi…

Read more

Paragon, Epic's Game Killed By Fortnite, Lives Again

Before Epic Games struck gold with Fortnite, the company had a free-to-play MOBA called Paragon that ran for two years before it was eventually shut down. Four years later, Paragon is back thanks to the efforts of a different developer that has used a treasure trove worth of assets from Epic to resurrect the game.

Spotted by PC Gamer, the new take on the MOBA is called Paragon: The Overprime. The revival is led by South Korean-based studio Netmarble and exists thanks to Epic releasing almost $12 million worth of assets, for free, on its Epic Game Store platform.

Epic allows developers to freely use these resources to create games, so Netmarble is continuing from where the company left off and is currently holding a “final test” before an early access period begins in Novembe…

Read more

Caesars Confirms Plans to Integrate Horseshoe’s Jubilee Tower

The famous and trusted gaming and entertainment company, Caesars Entertainment, confirmed its plans for a massive renovation of one of its Las Vegas Strip properties, Paris Las Vegas. On Monday, the company unveiled details regarding a renovation with a price tag surpassing $100 million. The ambitious plan will see the company integrate Horseshoe’s Jubilee Tower into Paris Las Vegas. Caesars confirmed that the new tower will be named Versailles Tower.

Representing an investment surpassing $100 million, the new Versailles Tower is expected to offer an all-new interior, as well as exterior. This overhaul will help deliver some 756 luxury guestrooms. Additionally, the renovation will bring a pedestrian bridge that helps connect the new Versailles Tower to the existing Paris Las…

Read more